Car: 2003 E46 M3
Track: Lime Rock Park
Best Lap Time: 0:56.85 (NASA transponder) - TT3 Track Record
Brakes: Brembo Fronts / OEM Rears / Pagid RS-29
Suspension: MCS 2-way NR
Tire: Hoosier A7's 245/40/18 square - 3HC
Other Mods: 331 RWHP / 3060 lbs with driver / EPIC Alpha N Tune / Full Aero
Event: NASA TT3 07/14/18

So last month, I had the good fortune to meet Pro Racing Driver Scott Heckert at a Chin Event at VIR. Scott has a tastefully modified street E46 M3 in Laguna Seca Blue. He took a spin in my car and was able to turn some 1:59's to my best of 2:02's. I had mentioned to him that I was planning on doing LRP with NASA on July 13/14 and WGI on July 16/17. Long story short, I hired him to coach me for both of these events.

I didn't really have a time goal for LRP since it was going to be my first time there, but obviously I wanted to break 1:00. The old track record for TT3 was pretty soft, over a minute. ST3 and GTS3 drivers all had much quicker times.

Scott was awesome. After my first session (1:00.33), he reviewed my data and video with me. He had a car and driver notes sheet that we filled out each session to help clarify where I needed to improve. Session 2 was a bust as a Radical-like car lost it in no name straight and black flagged the session. In Session 3, I managed a 59.85. Scott went out in one of the HPDE sessions and did a 57.1!!! And my tires at this point were complete crap. We were able to compare his braking and throttle traces and it became much clearer where I needed to pick up time. I went out once more and though I was driving better overall, I could only string a few 1:00's together. I ended up finishing 3rd out of 7.

I had some nearly new 1HC A7's on hand. You could still see the stickers in the tread. I put those on for Saturday.

So I know what I needed to do. Scott had given me the knowledge. I had really good tires. It's all on me. I come through S/F after my first flier and I see a 57.9! I decide to run another lap as I knew that I was still a bit sloppy. I slightly improve on my second lap with 57.8. I decide to bank the lap and come in. Good thing I did as I get a low tire pressure light when I am driving around the paddock. When I measure tire pressures the left front is down to 12 psig. This tire had given me some issues in March at VIR but had held static pressure fine since then. Phil from PTS removed the tire and found some excess flash that was preventing a tight seal under load. Just as Phill finishes, I hear the first call to grid for TT session. I quickly get the tire mounted and torqued while Scott gets the pressures right. I end up being the lead driver for TT 2nd session so I get a couple of really clean laps and some more 58's but I know there's more. It takes me 3 or 4 more laps to get clear of traffic and I give it everything I have! I tidy up big bend, brake deeper into the left hander, commit a bit sooner to the right hander, trust the grip in the uphill, carry a bit more speed through west bend, and stay off the brake in the downhill to put down the 56.85 for the new TT3 track record!

Scott will join me back at WGI on Monday and hopefully I can make some improvements there.

I really can't say enough about Scott. The data lap certainly helps, but Scott's style and explanations by themselves were so incredibly helpful. There is no way I could have improved as quick as I did without his coaching. If you're an advanced driver and feel that you can't go any faster, PM Scott.

Unfortunately in the chaos of the tire issues, we forgot to reinstall the SIM card so I don't have video of my best lap but I will post the 57.8 lap when I get home.

Not the record, but a couple of my better laps.

Last edited by ThunderMoose; 08-06-2018 at 07:06 PM..
Appreciate 2
CSBM52722.50
beats225.00