View Single Post
      05-23-2023, 10:36 AM   #1
Nautik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW M3 DCT

120k miles, 292 cams, stroker, or SC?

Hey all - I have a 2009 e92 M3. Bought it in 2011 and have used it as my daily ever since. Oil has been changed every 7500, rod bearings are done, VANOS replaced, got a new DCT transmission from BMW at 50k miles (thanks warranty!). All things considered, very little issues and a lot of fun.

I've done just about every bolt on I thought made sense. Apex wheels, suspension, brembo brakes, ARH headers/Xpipe, corsa muffler, dinan pully, eventuri intake, evolve tune.

Recently I've been stuck about what to do now... I like using it as my DD because it is just so practical and still pretty special and unique. You can't really buy anything new these days that is anything like it as far as I can tell. Here are the 3 options I came up after digging through the forums here over the weekend (maybe there are other options? yes, doing nothing is always an option):

40k option - Do I pull the trigger on a stoker from Carbahn? However, from the threads I've read here, is there much actual power gained? The earlier tests I've seen on this forum showed not really, the more current data shows there are significant gains with camshafts. But is it the stroker or really just the cams making the difference? Can I just get a set of 292 cams and keep my stock engine? Or is a stroker required to get the power out of the cams? Also, when boring out the engine and changing the stroke, you seem to now have a much less reliable engine over stock. I guess the question is, how much less reliable?

12k option - Do I just throw on a SC? I'm at 120k miles though and I'd like some occasional track days. Most folks, including my shop that races BMWs, say SC is just not a good option for track work because of heat soak. Is there something I can do to a 120k miles engine to make a SC less risky? Do I rebuild the engine then SC it? How much money do I need to spend on more cooling to do some track days?

5-7k option - Throw on some 292 cams and call it a day? There are a few good threads here on this but not much data I've seen on actual gains from pre cams and post cams. There are several posts swearing there is nothing to be gained with cams on the S65... Also, it sounds like a special tune is needed and who can do that, am I going to have to shop the car off somewhere?

Anyway, I'd definitely appreciate any feedback, especially if you have been down any of these paths. I'll add that just because one can buy something doesn't mean they like throwing money away, it still needs to make sense on the value/fun end of the equation