07-25-2018, 07:09 AM   #110
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
What are you doing with the dummy coolant gauge? Maybe plumb in an oil temp sensor since the N52 skimped on that too?
I think not having a coolant temp gauge on the E90 was an oversight on BMW's part based on how the coolant pump goes tits up without warning. I always figured it was a real estate problem because of the stupid iDrive crap. My understanding is the engine temp on the N52 varies quite a bit based on engine load and one of the reasons the gauge was not included was the point that customers may think something was wrong with the engine; but my Z4 has an N52 with a water temp gauge and stays steady on center, so who knows. Having been the first to discover there were water pump trouble codes way back in May 2011, I posted back then that BMW should have made a warning light for the pump failing. I think it is totally stupid to design a water pump that has no outward indication it is failing. Over temp warnings of... Yellow... Red... BAM!!! overheat. Utter BS.

Never been concerned with having an actual numerical temp reading because I'm not really sure if it is relevant to any operational decision making. Engine oil temp, ah, who cares?
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0