Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Roundel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
The difference in precision and feel is still there.
Your comparisons are not relevant here. Your examples using older cars are just that, old---the concept I'm speaking of did not occur in the past, IMO. The M340 is plenty precise and has an excellent chassis calibration. I don't think you've driven one of these. As I noted, there will be a chassis difference between the M340 and M3, but you won't notice it until you're on the track or on the rare twisty mountain road where you can really push cars to the limit. My prediction is that in an attempt to make a noticeable difference in the character of the upcoming M3/4 with the M340, they will make the M cars much harder and stiffer than necessary for the street. It already will have an engine that favors high rpms vs the previous S55 (I drove a M2 comp back to back with a X3M). For my money, the M340 is only a manual away from being a close to perfect street-only performance car.
I only drove the 340 Xdrive and I would characterize the handling as "sloppy" in spirited driving. I doubt the upcoming M3 if it has Xdrive (like the M5) would be anything like this. Precision in steering and handling in both street cruising, at the limit, and everything between is fundamental trait in the M3 and I doubt BMW would mess that up. Looking forward to it when it comes out.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0