03-10-2015, 09:46 AM   #7
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by warranty View Post
I'm not sure how easy it is for thieves to hotwire and steal these modern cars with smart keys, but another idea for a theft-deterrent feature is to use a toggle switch to turn off the 12V (signal 3) going into the clutch switch. Without +12V, the clutch switch cannot send the "clutch depressed" signal 4 to the CAS, and therefore the engine cannot be started.
Thieves were breaking into cars using keys they cloned on the spot once they had access to the OBDII port. There was a big bru-ha-ha about it about a year ago or so, and BMW offered a coding fix to the EU market, but didn't do anything here, IIRC.

We have the same car ('08/6MT) so if someone wanted it, all they have to do is break the glass, pull up the hand brake and roll it onto a truck. I don't know if you have the OEM alarm, but if you don't, your car comes pre-wired for it (only the '08s do), and you just have to buy the OEM alarm kit, install it, and have it coded in, which I did. The OEM alarm does have a tilt sensor, which is pretty nifty, but no shock sensor, so I followed this DIY to detect glass breakage and did a little something extra to go along with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isherdholi View Post
Excellent DIY, but I'm pretty sure you can achieve the same thing using NCSExpert to "code out" the clutch
Cool. Handle that and report back to us, as I haven't seen anyone do that across any of the other BMW forums. I'm always interested in seeing/learning about new options

Last edited by whats77inaname; 03-10-2015 at 11:06 AM..
Appreciate 0