View Single Post
      06-29-2018, 10:16 AM   #52
DreamTime
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
Schroth QF Pro is a good choice for an HPDE harness that doesn't require a steel head bashing tube (roll bar) to be in your car at all times.

I'll save you some time...it was me. The old fart. The one that instructed for ~2 decades and raced for one decade. But that's not important, what is important is the risk calculation. What's the most dangerous part of a track weekend? Getting to and from the track with all the civilian drivers.

My comment was on the roll bar (for the most part) so "just yes".

If the car is trailered to the track, never mind and carry on.

Schroth QF Pro harnesses are a fine choice for HPDE. Regular race harnesses only work with fixed back seats and if you put those in you need to put in a roll bar. You need the roll bar to prevent the setback from going backwards (you do have a seat back brace in the car, right?) and to get the belts installed within the allowable angle range of the belts (over the seat and down the shoulders has a specific, allowable angle range).

If you drive your car to the track and commute in it, a roll bar presents a significantly higher risk to your health. You spend more time in the car off track than on track (assuming above conditions) and you're much less safe on the roadways than on the track (accidents per mile), assuming you run w/a decent HPDE group that exerts control over the participants.

My sister got whiplash when we were rear ended at a stop sign at about 10mph. If there'd have been a roll bar in the car it may have been a head injury on top of the whiplash.
Lol, steel head bashing tube... I know that's not really a funny image, but it made me laugh. I do trailer the car some of the times I go to the track, but it is primarily a street car, and will stay that way for at least the next year or so while I figure out what my next move is. Because of this, I understand a roll bar would probably not be the best choice, at least for now.

I have made zero modifications to the interior of my car. I have the rear seat removed right now so I can haul wheels, jack, tools, etc to and from the track, but I can't leave it like that permanently. Is a seat back brace something I need now? Is it something that can be in there while still retaining the functionality of the back seat when needed? I was looking at Schroth QF Pro harnesses on Bimmerworld and it said in the description "These harnesses are designed to be used with stock seats that have passed a seat back strength test." What does that mean? Do I need to test my seats, and if so, how do I do that? I feel like I ask stupid questions sometimes, but soon I will have exhausted all of the dumb newbie questions I promise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyary View Post
The forum is so valuable when we get range of contributions influenced by a range of experiences. Like investing in the stock market, it is ALWAYS the individual responsibility to take all input and synthesize the correct answer appropriate to specific individual.
I agree, well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyary View Post
So for me, it will have to be BK harness bar and can be stowed out of the way when on the street and the OEM 3-point is kept functional.
I have been thinking a little about the BK harness bar too. I feel like I need to do more research on this option.
Appreciate 1
admranger2984.50