View Single Post
      12-13-2016, 06:52 AM   #21
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
Nice write up! You could have done this earlier...<cough, cough> Would have saved me some scrambling the first time I did the job...
FWIW, I've done this twice now w/o removing the fan. YMMV.
I like to drain the oil as far in advance of everything else as possible. Get the dripping done with (though it never ends, even after an overnight wait).
When you pull the oil pan off the subframe, a certain amount of tipping/tilting is involved. Be prepared for the oil that will inevitably come out.
I found the torque values provided by E92Love to feel a very low, especially the transmission torx bolts. Those suckers were on there and difficult to loosen. 38Nm is super light torque. I used the 'goodntight' torque values on all except the rod bolts. Snap on tech angle torque wrench buzzed me on every bolt. 10Nm may be correct for the oil pan bolts. Others feel really low. I'm not saying E92Love is wrong, just saying the torque values don't feel right to my 20years of this kind of wrenching calibrated hands. YMMV.
Great job as usual on the DIY! Should be sticky'd in the DIY section.
I wish I had done it earlier. I had an agreement with my ex's brother to use his shop for the job, then he backed out on me at the 11th hour and left me stranded and garage-less. Some dark moments in my life

I'll add a note that it can be done without removing the fan. That would eliminate a decent amount of work!

The tranny torx bolts were indeed very tight. I was not able to fit the torque wrench in there so I also used the 'goodntight' method. On my E46M DIY I used that method on everything except the rod bolts and so far it hasn't blown up
Appreciate 0