12-02-2022, 11:01 AM   #17
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Right don't disagree but the long gearing means if you are hustling he car along, so using some revs, honestly it's 2nd to 3rd then........ that's it. I've no idea what 4th through 7th are for other than economy on the freeway.

I have the PDK so once the box and engine are warm i flip the switch to SPORT which tightens the whole car up a bit, then I flip the gear level to manual and use the flappy paddles to pick the gear i want. Again though, if I am giving it a bit of a flog, i can rev out second, change to 3rd and I am WELL beyond illegal speeds already. It's not like a Miata or whatever where you've go short gears and a narrow power band.

Part of the "problem" is the engine revs so freely. Most of the fun and visceral experience is above 4500RPM and doing that in 3rd means 120kh. Why the gears are so fucking long is beyond me.
Because it's a German car, geared for the Autobahn. I remember when I had my M Coupe and worked in Germany, I asked why I never saw them over there. The response was they were geared so redline in fifth was very nearly at 155mph, and no one wanted a car that made that much noise and ate that much gas on the AB.
Appreciate 0