Thread: 400 RWHP Club?
View Single Post
      01-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #55
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Uncorrected is important for tuning since it is the power you are actually making under the actual weather conditions. But people want comparable results that are standardized to certain conditions and SAE does that. If one guy is making 375 rwhp at the North Pole and another guy is making 325 rwhp at the Equator, it does not mean much to me if I am in neither of those two place. I want to see standardized results. This is why car makers report their engine horsepower and torque in a standardized format (SAE for the USA where I live).

While I like standardized results for comparison purposes, I agree they do not tell everything. If a car is knocking and retarding timing or breathing poorly due to extreme heat or bad gas or has old spark plugs or a clogged air filter or clogged cats or there is no dyno fan, the reasons for the poor performance won't be reflected in any standardized dyno format. I think this is why there is a significant variation among even SAE Dynojets of the same make and model car.
Appreciate 0