Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
Congrats on the new PR, subtracting 5 seconds is an amazing feat at your skill level, awesome!

Also, congrats on the DCS-off. I am fairly new to that as well and understand the trepidation. What I found out early on in turning it off was that I wasn't driving the car as smooth as I should be, gentle back on throttle is my new mantra. I used to stab at it and wow will the car rotate quickly when you do that with DSC-off. Smooth application as well, not necessarily slow, but smooth! Good lesson to learn and makes you a better driver (in my opinion). Also, the US MDM was just going nuts on me last time to the point the car was almost un-drive-able. Personal choice and I don't pressure folks into it but I do see the benefits now that I've tried it. You also learn how to counter-steer more often such that it becomes habitual. A good thing.

Going to go do some research on these magical R1S tires now.
Thanks!

My advice is to keep using lower grip tires while you are getting used to DSC-off. Reasons:

1. Lower grip tires lose traction at lower speeds, so you can practice the skill of catching the car at lower speeds and less dangerous moments.

2. Lower grip tires will usually last longer while you're sliding around learning the skill.

3. Lower grip tires squeal more than high grip tires, so while your'e still learning, you can hear the warning signs that they're losing grip. Many high grip tires stay silent all the way until they lose grip.

4. Lower grip tires expose mistakes more than high grip tires since they lose grip more easily. That's what you want when you're learning.

5. While you're sliding around learning to drift and catch, lower grip tires are easier on other parts of the car since they lose grip more easily.

From my experiences, as well as info from my friends, here's how I would rank the grip of some tires out there. Of course, this is not a comprehensive list----just tires that me and my friends have driven: (from low to high)

1. Michelin Pilot Super Sport - Great on street. Not a great track tire.
2. Hankook R-S3 / Yokohama AD-08 - Great tires to learn on. Both tires seem comparable in grip. AD-08's might last a bit longer than the R-S3. Both can handle track duty and still drive home.
3. Nitto NT-01 - entry level R-comp. Slide around pretty nicely. ONly a little faster than AD-08 or R-S3.
4. Hoosier R6 - slide around very elegantly. Braking is not as good as TD.
5. Hankook TD (soft compound) - Great braking, good in corners. Does NOT like to slide. Fights back very aggressively for grip which is not good if you like sliding and catching.
6. BFGoodrich R1S - High grip in all places. Fairly quiet tire. Does not give lots of noise feedback. Slide pretty well. This tire runs WIIIIIIDE for the listed size. When mounted and inflated on identical rims, the 285 R1S runs about 1/4" wider than a 295 TD and it has a blocky square shoulder. It's rubbing my fender liners in places that the TD never did. I need to use spacers in the front.

After the R1S, the next step up in grip would be Michelin slicks.
Appreciate 3