View Single Post
      01-07-2008, 01:41 PM   #14
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

My analyses as well indicate that the 4.1/9.4 (footie: they got 9.4 to 100 not 9.2) times are outliers and are not consistent with the quoted specifications of the car. However, most other reported numbers and their averages are consistent with specifications. As Bruce stated (or hinted at) weather alone can not explain the amount that this is an outlier. My simulations with the exact temp and humidity of the R&T test showed a .1s gain to 60 and .2s gain to 100 comapred to standard temp and humidty. Since simulation only works with a reasonable accuracy for flat out straight line accelerations the Ring time sanity checks should be made based on: power to weight, driver, tires, similar vehicles and presense of automated manual. Lastly the 8:05 Ring time is EXACTLY as predicted by lucid's regression analysis. Given that many cars in that regression were not run with Cup/Cup+ quality of tires (as the M3 was) that may mean the car is a slight underperformer on the Ring relative to others.

Last but not least, even though these numbers are not so meaningful. If M-DCT launch control works well, I think we will be seeing a sub 4 second 0-60 run in that car.

P.S. Bruce: if you read a bit more of my posts you would find my praise of the M3 is nicely balanced by my criticisms of both BMW (M and NA) and the car itself. Try as you might, you can not pigeon hole me as a fan boy. Nice try though.
Appreciate 0