View Single Post
      08-14-2018, 02:15 PM   #8
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post
Agreed. From someone who came from a strong sales background, everything is positioning yourself for the close. Do your research and go to them with a compelling offer and hard facts on how providing you with a raise will save them money compared to hiring someone to do IT work. Present it as a cost savings to them but also have the proverbial sledgehammer behind your back in the event that they take this as a threat. (by this I mean, have an escape route, a second position or option to make money in the event that shit goes south)

Something most people don't consider when going in to these situations is psychology. There is an alpha personality and there is a beta personality. You can not let them feel like they have control over you or that they have "won." A fair compromise is the only success in these scenarios. If they feel that you are trying to "Alpha" them you will get shot down quickly and will lose their respect. In the event that you go in cowardly and hardheartedly ask for a raise, you will get shot down and then viewed in a negative light. Go in there with your balls shiny, have some hard documented, factual numbers of cost savings and negotiate with them. This will earn you respect and potentially put you in a better light with them as they will see you as someone with a spine. As you provide your views as to why you deserve a raise, also mention how you foresee the direction of the company and what part you play in moving the company this direction. Something else that most don't consider is communication. Constantly keep your superiors informed of your current status in projects or job duties. Not in a "look at me" type fashion but as "keeping them informed" type thing. This prevents you from "surprising" them with the discussion. This also lets them know you already deserve the raise as they are informed of what your capabilities are and that you are proactive in getting things accomplished as well as communicating info so that they don't have to ask for it.

Use phrases such as "wouldn't you agree?", "Do you mind to give me your thoughts", etc. and be prepared to overcome any objections they may have. Ask open ended questions. Try to get them to do more talking than having them sit and listen to you. Make an appointment to have this meeting with the decision maker and practice what you will say. Use a mirror when you practice speaking. We all make facial expressions subconsciously that sometimes make us not seem genuine or to be the beta.

The biggest issue to deal with is going to be the rejection. Expect no, but be prepared to deal with the rejection. Don't be afraid to ask why but don't come across as aggressive. Compromise. Ask if there are things that you could work toward or things that you could do differently that would warrant a potential raise in the future. While you're at it, I'd ask for a different title as well.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
100% on the change in job title, based on what OP now said about accounting "clerk" vs. "manager".

You need that title change for your resume when you go looking for prospects. Clerk isn't going to get you far.

I'm an accountant myself, and when I see "clerk", I'm expecting basic bookkeeping, that's it.

If I see manager, I'm expecting a fair bit more from the person, and willing to pay more for it too.
Appreciate 3
King Rudi13154.00
DETRoadster11465.50