13eastie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Do keep in mind that Normal mode with an EDC system (and in Comfort mode as well - all modes except Sport) is a fully active suspension, that means the compression and rebound damping are being adjusted and optimized continually in real time (not sure the exact frequency, but likely multiple times per second) according to input from accelerometers near all four corners of the car. The EDC system probably also takes input from the braking system as well (say more compression damping in the front on braking, etc.). However, front dive on braking could be detected solely with the accelerometers.

Therefore, saying you like Normal mode in an EDC car fine, and never need to change modes, absolutely does not justify the belief that a non EDC car will feel equivalent.
I'm sure you're correct. I'm honestly not sure that anyone but an expert is going to be able to tell whether they are driving with active damping though. I don't doubt the technology is awesome and the EDC is fun to play around with for a bit, but the practical application for 99% of drivers is rather gimmicky.

The power button on the other hand is great.
Appreciate 0