View Single Post
      05-07-2009, 10:00 AM   #8
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i xGC, ZL1, JCW

Hi Lucid. I watched your video - you have very similar lines to me at the Glen, and you like to late apex in places, just like me. I haven't been to WGI in my m3, but my best time in my c5z06 was 2:15:811 (recorded via track side XT Ultra Lap timer). My only mod was Hoosiers because I was Street Stock class.

One thing I noticed about your fast lap, try putting your foot in it at the toe of the boot after you start your turn - dont need to feather the throttle there, just plant it. The car feels like its gunna spin, and it feels REALLY strange, but it wont because of the hill and camber - have a look at that part of the track on foot one day, you'll be surprised how steep it is.. very deceiving in-car. This trick combined with the z06 torque meant I could pass most coming up the hill.

As for pads, ya dont use hawk. They are notorious for scoring rotors. I dont know why they are so popular, they are a shit pad. I went through a few pads until settling on carbotech. They are ceramic-based and a very high quality pad. You can run them right down to the backing plate (no pegs)1, so although they are a little more expensive, they do last longer. I've never had one fade/crack or do anything funny on me, and I've been through about 5 full sets from xp8 to xp10 (and even a panther plus - now "ax6" I think -when I first started). I settled on XP10 and they were a perfect combo between fade and rotor life for me. It seems like you may be a little more aggressive braking than me, so you may opt for the xp12. BTW, when the carbotechs would fade, you would get a warning. You'd know for a few corners that they are getting tired.

Another benefit of the Carbotechs is that they are easier to clean off of rims because they are ceramic. I could generally use water and maybe a light wipe to clean my rims.

BTW, many suggest staggering the compound to a heavier one in the front, I tried this for a few events, but found that it made the car uneasy under heavy braking - like coming into turn 1 at WGI. The car would waddle back and forth slightly. I put equal compounds on later and that totally went away.

Anyway, give them a try, you wont be disappointed.

Great video, thanks for the write up. Makes me miss it there - its my favorite track. BTW, what club did you go with?
Appreciate 0