View Single Post
      09-04-2008, 08:16 PM   #58
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Technically, any motion that has a frequency associated with it, even or uneven, can be called a vibration. So if the shifter starts oscilating at some kind of amplitude and frequency, that can be termed vibration.
Swamp, what have you done with lucid, and why are you posting in his place?

OK, point taken. Still, if you use that term with a typical car nut in this context, they're likely to think about a tingle in the palm of their shift hand rather than a broken wrist.

Quote:
The point is there are several sources of vibration in this scenario, and we are simply observing their combined effect. However, I am saying that the vibrations due to uneven power strokes of the engine do not explain the large amplititude of the shifter displacement; that should not result in that much shifter displacement. I am also saying the large amplitude shifter displacement is most likely a function of how the engine/transmission is mounted. I made that clear in my previous post. Do you agree of disagree with this?
I absolutely agree. Thought I said that, but perhaps (what are the odds?) I used just a few more words than absolutely necessary, thus blurring my intent.

Quote:
This is pretty much what I said in my previous post, but in your own words, which is fine. I am also saying that this "loop" seems to dictate the frequency of the large amplitude shifter displacement.
Missed that. Perhaps you used more words than absolutely necessary?

I distinctly remember having to reapply my ChapStick while reading.

Quote:
Agreed. Speaking of "soft", I don't necessarily like the way BMW handles this either though where the limiter just kind of "sucks" the power out of you gradually while you try to do something about it.
Huh. Haven't sampled that, but I'll check this out at some point.

Quote:
Yes, this does send a clear message. Riding the rev-limiter for an extended time was probably not a very acceptable behaviour to the designers or they would have done something about how the rev-limiter kicks in.
Can't speak with authority about what they had in mind, but rev limiters (of whatever design) are of course not rocket science.

Bruce
Appreciate 0