View Single Post
      08-07-2008, 05:04 PM   #81
enigma
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 and Elise

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post
LOL!!! That is funny as I noticed your line into 2 was not "the norm". lol. You obviously know the late entry/apex we teach for T2 at Thill! Yeah, it is a "safer" line to do it late.
Actually the line on that fast lap isn't my norm either. While its the fastest sector time I ever did through T2, its not really one I want to repeat. That last 0.1s over the normal stay tight longer then track out under power was not worth the "please don't let me die here" moment I had right after I turned in.

The data logger showed me turning in at about 2mph more than normal and all I could do at that point was go with it and be ready to drive straight off if it came to it. Lifting would have spun me off so I kept the car stable hoping for enough track to make it. I'll happily give up those 2mph to not do that again. I'll stick with the minor overbrake, adjust, and accelerate those 2mph back keeping the car stable.

[edit] For those that don't know thill T2 is a long left hand turn thats near a constant radius. The turn is in many ways longer than the following straight. Most light cars take a tight line though it to minimize the time in the turn. I tried it because I saw the spec miatas running the inside line. The data showed it to be faster so I stuck with it.

Heavier cars that have a difficult time folling the tighter line tend to setup outside to maximize the radius of the turn. But the lighter cars tend to steal the apex when you start wide just by outbraking the heavier car on the inside.

[edit 2] gack, amazing how a minor typo can make you say exactly the opposite of what you meant.