14_deltaM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e36m3 euro —>e92m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
This

SOOO much more reliable.

Over on M3Post I have like 6 DIY's addressing stuff on the E46M... I had one for 100k, I still like them, but at equal price to an E9X never ever ever

The biggest problem is the E36 and E46 has a chassis made out of paper mache and bubble gum.
Everyone whines about the extra weight of the E9X but I will take 100lb more every day of the week and twice on sunday if it is a solid vehicle, which is the case on the E9X

BMW didn't take chassis seriously until the E9X generation. The front and rear subframes of the E9X are little works of art... the E46 one seems like an afterthought, it isn't surprising that people end up ripping the entire thing off the car.
Even from the E9X to the F8X you can see significant improvements in the front end's reinforcements, however, as the E9X doesn't have any issues it isn't such a big deal.

The other day BMW released some pics of the front end reinforcements on their next gen M cars and holy shit! WOW!
http://www.trucktrend.com/news/1910-...-x6-m#photo-02
Indeed!! The number of hours I had to spend stressing and fromt end strut tower issues on my e36 was a real PITA.

E46 are not much better, and arguably the rear subframe issues are worse. It’s certainly not the end of the world though, as a good shop knows how to correct it.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11490.00