07-05-2012, 11:47 AM   #18
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifty// View Post
Yes, exactly that.
i find that OLD tires are perfect for this. of course this means they are no longer safe at high speed (danger of blowout) but the grip is way down from new tires. for example, date code 2003 Michelin Pilot Sport or Pilot Sport A/S.

you can usually find some on ebay. they don't squeal much and they have no grip and break away really well because they have little to start with

yet to find a low squeal, low grip sports tire. allseasons are great for this but they tend to squeal due to tread movement. sports tires are quieter when they breakaway.

closest thing I found to a NEW sports tire tire you can buy for this is Bridgestone Potenza RE050 - sharp response due to stiff sidewall and blocky tread pattern --> little squeal, easy breakaway. cons are they are relatively expensive and ride poorly compared to a more modern street tire

maybe you could try the Bridgestone Potenza RE760--those might be good by the look of the tread pattern and the treadwear rating. I hear the Conti DW's aren't bad either.
Appreciate 0