View Single Post
      05-17-2020, 07:49 PM   #1
JL947
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 - Melbourne Red

Snapped Bolt Extractor in Snapped Bolt

One of the valve cover screws/bolts had snapped on me, so a bolt extractor was used. However, to my surprise, the extractor had snapped while turning counter-clock wise. Now there's a napped screw with a snapped extractor sitting in my engine.

Really hoping the only solution isn't replacing the whole cylinder head, so any tips and advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Image will be provided tomorrow whenever there's better lighting.

Update 5/24/20

Thanks for the tips and advice provided. After lots of patience and frustration the extractor and bolt have now been drilled out, but not without consequences. The original female threads took a slight damage, sacrificing the bolt's ability to be tightened. The good news is, after some research the discovery of Time-Serts was made, and I'm surprised these are not more commonly known. So a set of Time-Serts have been ordered and it does look very promising. Will post results when the product arrives.

Update 6/1/20

Time-Serts are great tools for repairing stripped holes, cannot believe people prefer Helicoil over these. These German made products are pricier, but just like our cars, you get what you pay for. So far there has not been any leaks from the Time-Sert.
2016 Shelby GT350
2015 428i M Sport

Last edited by JL947; 06-08-2020 at 11:10 AM..
Appreciate 0