View Single Post
      05-15-2020, 05:56 AM   #1
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

It’s been *so long* since I’ve seen my Corvette

That I don’t even know I own a Corvette sometimes.

But yes. I own a 2017 Corvette Grand Sport. Still do, in fact. I last saw it on March 2nd of 2020, as it was being loaded onto a flatbed truck to be taken to the local Chevrolet dealership.

Back it up 2 days. I took the Corvette to visit some friends in NorCal on the prior weekend. While driving around spiritedly, as one is wont to do in a sports car of this caliber, I got a “low oil pressure, stop immediately” message on the dash as the engine started to sound like sh*t has hit the fan. I pulled over and shut it down immediately. Since it was already late on a Saturday, and all the Chevy dealerships I called said they won’t even touch the car until Monday, I decided, at my friend’s beck and call, to just leave the car for the time being and enjoy the weekend.

Little did I know that it was the last time that engine would turn over. I looked under the car and in the engine bay, and from a quick glance there appears to be no signs of any leakage that would indicate a loss of oil. After I dropped off the car I spoke with the service writer expressing my concerns, but I assumed that a car I bought new barely a year ago, now barely with 5,000 miles, that whatever ailed it would be fixed promptly.

A week went by. Two weeks. Okay. I tried to be patient, especially since I have 2 more cars to drive at home. Dealership never bothered to keep me updated, so I called back for the first time sinceI dropped it off, assuming they’ve been working on the car all this time. “Oh, we needed to pull the DME records to send to GM.” Okay. That’s fine, I’m certain it wasn’t a mechanical over-rev as I am “enthusiastic” when driving but careful when it comes to upshifts and downshifts, with nearly my entire adult driving life operating manuals. Another week went by. I tried to limit my calls to the dealership to once a week. “Sent the DME pull to GM. Waiting on them to authorize.” Okay, so 3 weeks in no work has been done.

Then COVID-19 hit. At this point getting a hold of the dealership service department is like pulling teeth. I’d be lucky if they return my calls within the same week. Weeks, turns into MONTHS. End of March came and went. April came and went. FINALLY GM authorizes warranty work to begin at the beginning of May. I figured they’ll just replace the engine based on the symptoms.

Nope. All they’ve authorized was replacement of the crank bearings. Okay. Fine. How long is it going to take? “Oh should be no longer than a week. Then a couple of days for the tech to test it and make sure it’s repaired right.”

Two weeks later, not a peep.

At this point I’ve completely lost faith in GM and Chevy. Had this been my BMW, I’d have the car back within 2 weeks with a fresh new crate motor. It’s been 70+ days since I last saw my car, and at this point I’m considering filing a “missing vehicle” report except I don’t even remember what it looks like.

I vaguely recall owning a Corvette like this.
Attached Images

Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 5
yco5730.50
VipinLJ1941.50
roastbeef11584.50