Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
I owned an E39 M5 for 15 years, 5+ of which included the E90 M3 at the same time. In terms of reliability, the E90 M3 has been vastly more reliable. My M5 had multiple repairs under the factory warranty period, and then post warranty I had to replace the alternator, CPS', cruise control switch, washer pump, thermostat, front thrust arm bushings, rear control arms, power steering lines - twice, one headlight adjuster, differential, rear view mirror, etc. I think my Excel list is on my BaT auction.

I decided to part with it at 66k miles back in 2018 since it seemed like the market was getting crazy, and the best time to sell is when they're screaming bids at you. It sold for $34k ($35,700) back in June of 2018. I'm glad I sold it so far even though I planned to keep it forever. It was replaced with an M2C which is crazy fun to drive, and my wife and I love it. It is now 16 months and 11k miles old with zero issues (as one would expect) so far too fwiw.

By contrast to my M5 experience, in 9+ years the E90 M3 has had one issue - that sensor in the crankcase vent hose. Zero warranty claims. Nothing other than regular maintenance including replacing the battery at year 7. Knock on wood I guess. Yes, I'm well aware of the bearing panic with the S65, and I've said for years now if mine goes, it's a great reason to do a stroker (either from Carbahn or S62Shop).

Driving wise, there's no comparison. The M3 is much more fun than the E39 M5. Faster, handles much better, steering feels great compared to the M5's ancient design (it had the same recirculating ball design as my 1972 Bavaria). My 6MT slicktop M3 weighs 400lbs less than my M5 did, and it's readily apparent. The brakes on the E39 are awful too -- mushy, too much initial travel,; however, I did have a Stopteck BBK on the M5 for many years, and that dramatically improved the feel not to mention performance on track. Now if you were going to go on a long trip, you'd want the M5...even mine with its Dinan springs, Konis, sway bars, monoballs, 9.5/275 square setup...it still rode very comfortably.
A case study of 1 (your specific cars) isn't very meaningful... and any car driven 66,000 miles over almost 20 years is going to have a bunch of issues. But, equally meaningful (not) data point: My almost 200,000 mile e39 M5 has had less issues than your 66,000 mile M5 did :P

I completely agree the M3s (more so the older ones—the M2 is closer is size to the e36/e46 than the e9X is) are more fun to drive than the M5. The M5s have much more focus on high speed long distance commuting in comfort. Semi related: of all the M3 generations, I’d say the e90 is the most M5 like in its character.

The character thing is a matter of taste. I'd actually sell the M5 if it were up to me-- it's to big/torquey for my driving style/taste. But, my wife loves it and prefers it to the M3s... so it's her car/daily. She loves the comfort, civility, and torque... all the things that detract from the experience for me.

That said, I don’t really agree with your weight difference.

From cars I’ve had on my scales:

My pretty stock M5 (BBS RG-Rs and stoptech BBK being the only relevant to weight modifications) weighed in at 3890 lbs.
My friends stock stripper e90 M3 (no sunroof, no idrive, 18s, 6mt) weighed in at 3638 lbs

… so more like 250 lbs different.

(all car weights corrected to a half tank of gas)

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 1
IamFODI365.50