10-04-2017, 02:52 PM   #463
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
This is my biggest gripe about the M2, the quality, how BMW decided to cheap-out on so many aspects, from the engine, to the interior, to the mirrors.

Whenever this is brought up (especially if brought up on the F87 boards), we are told by M2 fanboys "you're missing the point", "oh, look, more M-elitist talk", "it's supposed to be a back to basics car", etc.

The thing is, people who blindly accept the cost-cutting are the ones missing the point. Even the M-cars of lore in their fantasy-nostalgia filled world were built with the best materials and with the best available features.
Sure it may seem petty to complain about seats and exterior mirrors when they don't objectively affect the driving experience, but owning an M-car is about the entire experience: not only how it makes you feel while you drive it, but how it makes you feel owning it, sitting in it, washing it, looking at it.
I absolutely love the little details like carbon-leather trim and M-aerodynamic mirrors. I absolutely love when i'm driving at night and catch a glimpse of the illuminated 6MT shift knob. When I got my first M-car (E46 M3), it was these little things that gave me a sense that M-cars are about performance AND quality (vs. a car that's only focused on performance like a Mitsubishi Evo). The trend continued with the E9x, built & crafted with passion where every detail was touched-on without being ostentatious.
It's the little things that when you're stuck in traffic, or taking photos of your car, or washing it on a Sunday afternoon, that you notice the details and really appreciate and think, "this is a special car".
Yes, like this. I wouldn't go as far on the build/quality upgrades from a e series (other than engine and chassie obviously) but certainly enough to make the statement true. It is the entire experience that makes the difference so great.
Appreciate 2
Law6381.00
Denk1006.00