12-15-2011, 02:02 PM   #28
disapr
drop a gear and...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
Of course a taller gear helps in 7th as it keeps the rpms down and when there is no acceleration there is no such thing as "bogging" an engine down. It takes very minimal rpms to keep an engine going in a constant velocity such as highway cruising, however it will make 7th pretty much useless for actually accelerating which would be ok with me. Doesnt bother me either way but it would help. And yes staying at 65-70 does a lot for milage cmopared to 75 and above
I actually use 7th for accelerating quite a bit so I'm glad it's not a stupid highway gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
With this, I will put my trust in the BMW engineers. I hear you but if you get a gear that is too tall...you'll have to downshift for every little hill...not a problem for the DCT in D mode though.

I would like the option to shut off 4 cylinders to save some fuel...wonder what the MPG gain would be?
Agree with the first part - This is a performance car that has been engineered to perform while having a balance function and efficiency. It's not an econo box though so I don't understand why everyone is so concerned about it!

My iDrive is reading 6.8 MPG right now and I'm fine with that.
Appreciate 0