View Single Post
      08-12-2018, 11:03 AM   #1
2013M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3 Jerez Black, 13 x5

Garage List
Got a Tesla. What to do with M3?

So I just got the performance version of the Tesla Model 3 (which ironically is called "M3"). The car is incredible. With instant torque, the car is like a rocket. I have the dual motor version and it has I think 450 hp equivalent.

Driving my E93 M3 feels clunky now. I feel like I have to wait for the car to warm up, shift the into gear, wait for RPM to pick up before shifting and so on. Don't get me wrong my E93 is fast, but compared to the Tesla instant torque, it feels sluggish. The electronics on the car is like using your iPhone, integrated very well.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out what to do with my 2013 E93 M3.

1) keep it. BMW no longer makes naturally aspirated V8 engine. It will be a rare car in 15 to 20 years (as more people go into electric cars). There will always be a market for 'loud and gas guzzling" cars even in the sea of electrified cars.

2) Sell it now. The days of gas driven cars are coming to a close. Get your $35k back now while the car has some value (less than 30k mile, premium package). In 10 years it will be worth $10k.

I know it will be a while before gasoline engines are gone (maybe even never), but will people appreciate large inefficient engines in the future? People don't look back and say, "geez, I miss the days of doing all that math with a slide rule. it kept your brain sharp" or, "gosh, it was so refreshing to hear the horse pull you and feeling the wind on the carriage." People moved on.
Appreciate 0