View Single Post
      10-23-2009, 01:04 PM   #21
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

I know for a fact that CA does not care what you say you paid for the car, unless you have a receipt form a dealer. They will simply take the KBB retail value for the car and charge you the tax and registration on that value.

On the whole gift thing, I had vehicle when I live in CA which was true gift from my dad, which is my 53 Ford Pickup and I went to register in CA and they asked me how much I paid and told them $0 since it was gift and they said that was not allowed since the computer would not accept $0, so I said fine put a $1 in and that did not work. The minimum at the time was $100 so they used that since they could not find a 53 ford in the KBB. I had to pay tax and registration on the $100 even though the truck at the time was worth well over $10K due to all the modifications but they could not asses that from the picture I brought with me.

My other example was a Mustang I bought in CA and paid obviously more then what the KBB said it was worth but told the DMV I paid less and they looked up the KKB value and charged me base on that not what I really paid.
Appreciate 0