View Single Post
      10-03-2009, 04:03 PM   #39
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Sure, in the wet, lack of tread depth will definitely result in drastic loss of grip, so no surprises there. The discussion so far has focused on dry grip.

Also, the Skip Barber manual claims that if you push a street tire with more than 5/32" tread hard on a track, you will weaken the bond between the tread and the tire body. So, if you have done that earlier (and I think you have based on your previous reports?), and if what they are saying is true, your tires had most likely already lost grip before you got to the bars.

Yes, tread squirm increases tire temps, which is normally not good for a street tire as it will overheat quickly, but when you run in the cold and on a wet track, that might actually indeed help.

Nice drift!
I have never used those tires on the track in the dry only once before in the wet where they worked awesome.It has been my experience with new tires over 4/32 tread depth that they have to be shaved as by the time they get down to 2or 3/32's where they should work at their best the grip has already started to go away because of the heat cycling.By starting at the proper tread depth for track use you end with a tire that has a longer useful track life.
The grip on the PS2's have gone away quite progresivly over their life but the colder temps really pointed it out.
Appreciate 0