View Single Post
      09-30-2009, 07:58 AM   #23
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Swamp, buddy, nobody said a worn out tire will not lose traction. Actually, everyone seems to agree on that although there are different potential explanations although one factor that is obvious is hardening. (I did say that less tread would be more responsive, but that's different). However, if you read your OP, you didn't say anything about the fronts not being worn out (the 7/32" F - 2/32" R situation you did have). The way I read your OP, all of your tires were worn out with only about 2/32" difference across them. If anyone is in such a situation (worn out tires with 2/32" wear difference), I would give them the same advice: to put the tires to rest during a track day with the note that they might have less traction overall, which requires one to drive accordingly (which both Ben and I pointed out). If one wants to be fast, obviously one should be on new/shaved tires, and has also been brought up several times.

Then there is the part about what significant difference in wear F/R does to the balance of the car--if the balance would be significantly altered. My experience with seriously worn out fronts vs OK rears on PS2s was manageable. Your experience with worn out rears vs well treaded fronts seems to have been not so manageable. Since "manageable" is a subjective term, we most likely will not agree on this, but the fact is understeer is often easier to deal with than oversteer, and this car has plenty wtq that it can easily come around you at track conditions (lateral + longitudinal loads @ high speeds) regardless of the tires you are on. If I had driven your car on the track that day, would I have shared your opinion on the altered balance? Maybe yes, maybe no. No way to tell.
Appreciate 0