View Single Post
      06-29-2013, 06:05 PM   #8
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK007 View Post
I recently purchased a stop tech bbk, St-60 front, St-40 rear because they are supposed to perform great on track and are easy for swapping pads. Although they have been awesome on track, I have had a great difficulty removing stop tech pads. Thinking it must be my mechanical ineptitude, I had an experienced guy help me. In the end, he had to remove the caliper from the rotor and knock them out. He thought it was just a really tight fit and that the sides of the pads needed to be shaved down a tiny bit. When I tried to remove the stop tech track pads after my track weekend, I had the same problem. This is extremely frustrating. This kit was very expensive and was supposed to be easy for swapping pads. I can't even seem to fit a thin flat head screw driver between the pad and rotor to push the pistons back.

For people with stop tech or even brembo bbks, have you had this kind of trouble? Any suggestions short of completely removing the caliper again? I have looked at a lot of videos on how to take out pads on brembo bbks but can't seem to find any on stop tech. Does anyone know of such a video? I know its a big ask...but if anyone would be willing to make a quick video that would be great. Thank you in advance for any help you guys can provide...
I ran into this exact problem on a set of ST40 Stoptechs years ago. The problem was the brake pad backing plate, and it had some "flash" on the edges from when it was punched out of a piece of steel plate at the factory. A few minutes with a file and it's all good. As far as I know, Stoptech doesn't deliver that brand of pad any more, but I guess it can happen to any of them.

Also check the pad pockets with the pads out to make sure there's nothing in the way in there, but chances are good it's just a slightly oversize set of pads.

Having said all that - it just occurred to me to wonder - did you buy them used or have them powder coated? Is it possible they've been powder coated and it's the paint that's causing the problem? Powder coating adds a very thick layer of paint, and it could be that as well, particularly if you're having this problem with more than one set of pads.
Appreciate 0