02-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #58
bplewis24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2 Comp; Tesla Model3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artmasterx View Post
I am not 100% sure, but I think he means how much you expect the car to depreciate in actual value. Probably not the depreciation an accountant would use for tax purposes. More like looking at the resale values in 1, 2, 3, ... years to determine how much money would be forfeit by reselling.
Right, that's kinda what I was getting at. I realize it's not a traditional depreciation schedule, but I'm wondering if there's a reasonable way of determining how much our cars lose value each year AND by each mile driven?

Quote:
Side note, if you are forgoing any matching to your 401k, you should rethink the 30% allocation and put some towards your 401k to get the matching. If you don't get matching, some may suggest still upping your 401k portion unless you are saving all out for a house.
Good point. Maybe I'll look into putting more into my 401k. I've only been here for 1.5 years so the matching is very small (I think 3%) right now. I guess I just like the idea of a savings because there are no real penalties for withdrawing the money and changing my plans during any given month.