10-27-2013, 08:56 AM   #1
Jaymax85
Addicted to Speed.
United_States
Rep
Drives: m3 zcp, macan GTS, f15 x5

Exclamation HELP!: spontaneous loss of clutch pressure, unable to shift gears

Hi everyone,

I have an 08 M3 with 32k on it. I bought it in february from orlando florida. I also purchased a platinum coverage warranty through the warranty group. I did the plug service myself at 30k and changed the oil at 29k. The previous owner was a pro-gulfer and was meticulous with dealer maintenance.

The car has been extremely reliable since I purchased it. On friday night however, I was out at dinner and pulled out the restaurant and shifted from 1st to 2nd at around 5.5-6k RPM. While doing this, I depressed the clutch and it would not go into 2nd gear... I re-clutched in and the car would not go into any gear except neutral. The clutch had lost all pressure and was very easy to push to the floor, not able to return up unless I pulled it up with my feet. After several attempts, I was able to get it into 3rd gear and granny it to the parking lot.

When the car is in gear, the car does not slip or do anything weird. However, getting it into gear is impossible, grinding whenever I try as if I am trying to shift without a clutch. The clutch seems to have no hydraulic pressure, as I am easily able to push it down with little or no resistance. When the car is off, I can shift gears freely. I have NEVER experienced any gear slippage, the car has been running great until now.

I had the car towed to the local dealer and they said they will look at it monday. I have to say though that the free roadside through the warranty was awesome, they had me going in 1 hr from call to tow and this was at 11pm on a friday night. the tow truck driver took great care. My car is almost stock with the exception of dinan rear-section, dinan pulley, m5 shift knob, and swift springs. I Never launch my car and rarely drive it hard.

Given the symptoms, I think it may be the clutch slave master cylinder, and am hoping that is what it is. My car makes the "normal" throw out bearing noise that all 6mts make, but thats pretty much it.

I guess it could be the throw out bearing as well, but hoping thats not what it is because my 3rd party insurance may not cover that.. This is a copy of my contract: (I have platinum coverage)

http://www.factorywarrantydirect.com...e_contract.pdf

If in the event it is the throw out bearing, I'm wondering if I can get BMW to "good will repair it" as I only have 32k on my car with an inservice date of 8/2008 and the bearing issue is somewhat common.

Does anyone have any insight as to what it may be or any advice for me when dealing with the dealer/warranty company?

Last edited by Jaymax85; 10-27-2013 at 09:32 AM..
Appreciate 0