dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddalun View Post
Thanks gentleman.

I too am considering switching to RL from OE fluid. It's interesting that the RL diff fluid (even with FM) still causes chatter on our diffs. Is this of concern? Is OE fluid ideal here? TIA

This the specific fluid I am looking at:
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=134&pcid=4

Friction modifier is added to "personal taste". The only reason the OEM stuff has so much is that 2008 MY owners complained about chatter. My advice is to start with a fluid containing a normal amount of FM. If the noise bothers you, add more until it goes away.

I will be honest: my car had the OEM high-FM stuff in it for the first 2 1/2 years and 20k of the time I've owned it. I had the normal-FM stuff (Castrol Syntrax LS) put in earlier this year and I can't tell the difference. I'm not deaf, but I am definitely not going to brag about above-average hearing. It's not like I drive around focusing 100% of my attention on very minor noises like that. I've usually got the radio on or there's tons of background noise from tires, other cars, exhaust, etc.

Remember, more FM changes the LSD locking behavior. I asked this exact question earlier this year before settling on the Castrol factory-fill fluid:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums..._for/against_F

Take special note of MolaKule's reply. He is a tribologist, meaning oil chemist/blender. He knows his stuff:

LSD "modifies" the friction coefficient to reduce chatter.

I always recommend adding about 1 ounce increments of LSD additive at a time and then doing figure 8's in a parking lot with a warm diffy.

If it still chatters, add another ounce.

Most people DO add too much of the additive such that the LS may not lock up when needed.

And yes, that Red Line fluid you linked is the correct stuff. My only concern with it versus OEM or the Castrol FF is that it's about 20% thicker at higher temperatures. It does have a very high VI of 198, which is a good thing.

If you are looking for OEM alternatives, we can absolutely discuss that! Torco SGO, Renewable Lube, Gulf Competition, Millers, etc.

Last edited by dparm; 06-15-2016 at 04:52 PM..
Appreciate 1