02-10-2011, 01:03 PM   #54
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo8765 View Post
I would make a distinction between roll cage and roll bar. If you're talking about a typical 4 point roll bar with or without harness bar, then yes. There are a several aftermarket bolt in options available. That is what I have. It obviously works with both the soft top, and factory hardtop. Some have also had custom 4 point roll bars installed/welded in that work with the factory soft top.

Note that I did a number of track days without an aftermarket roll bar. Most sanctioning bodies consider the stock protection to be adequate for DEs. The stock protection is quite good, similar to a boxster or Z4.

I interpret cage to mean something that attaches to the chassis at more than 4 points. If you're taking the car to that level, I would think you would want to remove the soft top anyway.
In the future (couple years), I'm thinking of buying a car for track only. I never thought about S2000 until seeing this post. I really don't know how hardcore I'll go, but to me learning and enjoying the track driving is more important than going fast. In other words, I want to learn to go as fast as a car can go, with whatever mods it has.

So, if I get a s2000, it would be nice to use it as a summer time roadster occasionaly (sure it may look retarded to drive around top down with a roll cage, but I don't care what anyone thinks). I still want a cage for protection at the track and to increase body rigidity.