View Single Post
      12-05-2018, 03:08 PM   #27
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
I hate people that leaves their rear fog on at night. Makes me want to leave my high beams on behind them.
I do use my high beam on them when I can. They apparently want me to see their rear end better. High beam does contribute! Rear fog light usage in clear weather (regardless day or night) is explicitly prohibited by local traffic laws. It's just I have to mind not blinding other drivers (oncoming in particular). That makes it tricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
it keeps your headlights clean.
Exactly! I did not want them but I do appreciate them. I can even control how frequently they work by not engaging the windshield washing and wipers simultaneously (that's pulling the lever only slightly to wash and pressing it down after release to wipe). They aren't as effective as wiping, of course, but much better than nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechicken View Post
I turn them on only when it snows, that's actually the only situation when they're useful
Why? Snow can become dirt (then it's "when it's dirty" again) but by itself it's so clean.

Quote:
when it rains they are just wasting washer fluid, let's be honest.
Oh, yes! And so is washing the windscreen (that's how you get them engaged). I never do that when it rains.

Quote:
The only reason they are obligatory with xenon headlights (at least in the EU, my C6 has xenons and no headlight washing system) is that xenons are not emitting that much heat as normal halogens, therefore snow and ice doesn't melt when in contact with the headlights and distorts the light emission..
AFAIK, Xenon light is vulnerable to dust affecting light focusing/distribution and it's brightness leads to blinding effect. I read that somewhere on the Internet. (I'm lazy to search for a confirmation link, sorry. )
Appreciate 0