View Single Post
      03-01-2018, 11:41 AM   #35
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexRaceParts View Post
Although you can technically mount 275 / 295 tires on the square 19x10" wheels, why not run the optimum wheel width front and rear for superior sidewall support?
No excuse other than I like the aesthetics of ZCP wheels.

Quote:
It all comes down to how you use your car, and your expectations for steering response / feedback, grip etc. 275/30-19 tires will mount up beautifully to the 19x10" wheel, however the 295/30-19 would be best supported by a 19x10.5" or 19x11" wheel.

The major benefit of running a square wheel configuration is the ability to rotate wheels and tires on all four corners of the car. If you stagger the tires, you have negated that ability. Furthermore, the shape of the sidewalls will look fairly different from front to rear when running a setup like this. This may not be a major factor for some, but it is worth mentioning.
I have no interest in running square tires. The 275/30 295/30 combo actually comes very close to identical sidewall height to OEM 245/35 265/35 so that also shouldn't be an issue.

Quote:
Sidewall support. If handling and steering response is a primary concern for you, the 10" wheel does not support 295 tires when the car is pushed through a corner. The sidewall will flex and be less responsive to steering input, and ultimaltey feels "mushy" from the drivers perspective. For this reason, corner carvers and track oriented enthusiasts will typically run the widest wheel they can. Now if the car is mainly on the street and you are more focused on straight line grip, the 295's can totally be used.

- Ryan
Primary use of the car is on the street so I don't think I'm pushing it enough to notice the drawbacks of lack of sidewall support. However, lack of straight grip is something I do notice with the SC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
$10k+ on a supercharger and penny pinching on wheels does not make sense to me. There are a lot higher quality options out there. Plus you could buy four 10" ZCP wheels just as easily as four 10" AG. Be sure the powder coated doesn't bake at too high of a temperature as that can weaken the wheel.
It's not that I'm penny pinching on the wheels, I just happen to think the ZCP wheels look the best at ANY pricepoint. Why would I spend more on ZCP wheels when I can get literally the same exact thing for half the price? They will be powder coated either way because gunmetal is a non-negotiable for me, so they will be "weakened" regardless of AG or OEM. BTW, the SC was $6.5k used. I like saving money where I can .