footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
I'm confused now. Why would having less acceleration in the lesser modes be a bad thing? If you want to accelerate fast then choose S5 or S6. You want a leisurely drive then choose S1 or S2 or A1, A2, etc.

It also sounds like the actual shift speed is dependent upon throttle position too just like the SMG II was. But, I'm not 100% convinced of this yet. This would make sense: you want fast, you push the throttle pedal farther down so the system shifts faster for you too.
I don't want to go into the old debate of the amount of modes on offered, been there, done that and it's a point that some of us will not see eye to eye on.

My only concern is that I hope BMW offer equally as good an accelerate with modes which don't disconnect the DSC and demand the jerk/surge. My guess is this was included to appeal to the current SMG customers. My understand on the technology is that each of the modes should be capable of shifting equally as quick as each other, the only difference I see between S1 and S6 would be this build-up of free energy. What difference this will make to the acceleration I don't know but until I sample it I don't know how it will feel.

Who knows, I might even like it.

The objective of dual clutch systems is to change gear without any noticeable interruption in power and forward motion, noticeable interruption to me means smooth transition between changes. That might be Audi's interpretation of this, BMW might have an altogether different opinion of that. I wish I knew someone who has driven the new GTR or EVO to get an opinion on their gear changes to see it each manufacturer has a different take on what Dual Clutch should behave like.

Steved or anyone?
Appreciate 0