View Single Post
      08-18-2018, 07:11 AM   #160
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Some random thoughts because it is not a track day today so might as well write about track days. Thoughts about this year efforts:

1. I hear you guys about instructor. But please keep in mind that although this is my second year on the E92, I have 15 years of track days on the Ducati. So while the skill is not directly translated to 4 wheels, I am not new to track days including the risks, margin of safety, instructions, race line analysis, etc etc. Anyway, I did spend a day with professional instructor and it was very beneficial. However, at this point not everyone that jump into my passenger seat can provide useful information.

2. I absolutely need to be a better driver. I am not disputing any of the criticism related to my lack of skills.

3. I have no problem going slower now to go faster later. I have no problem experimenting with settings, tires, lines. I keep the track as the constant parameter and experiment with anything else.

4. Conflicting Internet advise. While I was advised that no one win HPDE, experiment with the equipment seems to be frowned upon. I failed to understand why

5. Experiment with settings does not lead to a straight line improvement. If I try rear settings, the balance of the car will be disturbed, BUT my butt gets to understand the rear better. (words were chosen carefully to make the point)

6. It all leads to this. 40mph turns. The last track day I had followed a Corvette that took all the slow corners faster than I did. I was able to keep with him long enough to see his lines but after two laps he gained enough of a gap that we can say he was "gone". The point was that no matter what line he took, he was faster than I was at the slow corners. I had a similar experience with a GT3.

7. There is somewhat trivialization of the fact that every track for a given car has "easy time" and "hard time" to accomplish. At NYST for stock E92 1:41-1:44 is pretty easy to accomplish given few laps. The 1:38-1:40 you need some aftermarket equipment. The 1:36-1:38 is very hard and a very skilled driver may accomplish it. If you take all my fast segment from all my laps, you can get to 1:36. I can't because I am not skilled enough, but a good driver can. 1:34-1:36 required slicks and gutted E92. probably without supercharger to make the nose lighter. A Corvette and GT3 can do 1:36 like my E92 can do 1:39 from what I can see. And yes I do understand that the GT3 and the Corvettes have different drivers.

8. So I think half way through the season, and taking everything into consideration, I need to improve the front understeer to go any faster for the level of risk I am willing to take.

9. My goal first and for most is to go as fast as I can while managing traction on a specific day with a specific weather on specific tires and settings and bringing home the M3 shining.

10. My best accomplishment this year is to be on par with DSC off/on. while on average I am not faster with DSC off, even though my best time this year was DSC off, It allows me to learn car control better which I believe will lead to better skills.

I do welcome any thoughts and feedback you guys can provide. I read carefully everything and adjust accordingly. For example to turn off the "power" suggestion was brilliant.
Appreciate 0