View Single Post
      01-27-2019, 11:37 AM   #18
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

This is really something, just to replace the starter. I thought that perhaps one of the mounting bolts was broken but once I got all the stuff off, I realized that all the mounting bolts, to the starter, are all threaded from the back-side!

I think I'd rather do my rod bearings again, seemed easier and didn't have so much working in tight spaces. I went ahead and ordered an idle control valve (I have some cold start idle issues) as well as I don't want to mess with this stuff again (throttle actuators already replaced 25,000 miles ago).

One tip that I've found useful for the factory band clamps is rather than trying to cut them or mess with a screwdriver to try and loosen the crimped part, just take a drift and knock the last tab (that's the one that always gets hung up and is a bear to release) from the back side (that is in the direction of the crimped part) and use your drift and small hammer to tap that tab straight up. The slip small screw driver under the locking tabs and they will all pop free with no effort. No cutting required. Other methods might be needed when there's no room but that has worked pretty well for me.
Appreciate 0