View Single Post
      12-17-2007, 04:23 PM   #95
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Some folks here had that attitude, although they would not cut to the chase and use the word "magical". Many all over various forums on the web had this attitude as well. I tend to disagree though about what does and does not make the car special. If all of the other very well known factors are what gave the car it's time then again the time is less special. What is the most special IMO about the car is simply it's performance to price ratio and from what I have read how easy it is to drive very fast.
I am one of those folks who has that attitude because the numbers simply speak for themselves. The car is magical. It has supercar numbers at well below a 100k. No other car company can even come close to this kind of price/performance ratio...it's not even close.

Three years ago, I could name the number of people, including Nissan folks, who thought Nissan could match BMW let alone surpass it's highest performance car on zero fingers. They would of been considered idiots for even suggesting the possibility. BMW and the M Division, at any price, can't even build a U.S. spec car to match this Nissan. And do you see anything on BMW's drawing boards that could match it in the next few years? BMW has been caught napping, plain and simple. Who knows if they will ever catch up at this point.

This is what happens when a car company like BMW rests on its Motor Sport laurels and is arrogant enough to believe that no one will ever surpass them. Look at Audi and the R8. The R8 has actually exceeded expectations, just like the GT-R. Do you know how hard it is to exceed expectations in the auto industry in this day and age? Imagine if the M3 would of exceeded everyones expectations as we had hoped, like these two cars? In 5 years, what do you think a used E92 M3 will be worth in comparison to the same year GT-R?
Appreciate 0