05-30-2009, 11:39 AM   #38
Mavrick151
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse Motors View Post
Several weeks ago, I was wondering whether the orange peel on my Space Gray E92 M3 could be safely removed without removing too much of the car's clear coat. I tested this theory by wet sanding the passenger side rear quarter panel and the results were fantastic. Not only did I remove 100% of the orange peel, I also removed only 10 microns worth of clear coat, or roughly 1/14 of the total clear.

I'll try and get pictures up some time soon; I'll be really busy the next few weeks. My question is now that we know the orange peel can be safely removed, how many of you would be willing to take the plunge and have their entire car wet sanded?
Just talked to the dealer about this issue yesterday. I thought that they would want to make this problem right but after 45 minutes talking with the GM and head of the service department it is a factory orange peel and they wont do anything about it. I made my point clear as glass but they would not color sand my car. This is a bunch of bs. I didn't pay for a car with factory orange peel. I will be getting the car color sanded and im sure that it will look 10x better. Cant wait to bring it back to them and show them the difference.
Appreciate 0