itsnotq
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzupfoo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotq View Post
One more thing if I drive it 5 minutes, and turn it off come back like a hour later it starts fine.. it's just when I let it sit for a while
Had a similar problem early on in my ownership back in 2010. After several visits to the dealer it was finally solved by replacing the starter before that they replaced the key module, battery, and i believe the "special" battery cable. Granted I dont know how these things work but they told me something along the lines that the switch in the starter was malfunctioning.

my symptoms were:
1. Cold starts were the problem and it would be intermittent. (crank most of the time until it wouldnt and then randomly will start, esp. after being towed to the dealer!)
2. No actual cranking/clicking noise
3. Noise is more of a electric switch and hearing it buzz subtlety (assuming its similar to what the other poster is noting as relay noise)
4. Electronics looked good to go, no sign of low charge or dead battery; further proved after replacing all the battery components and this problem persisted.
5. No faults associated to this problem could be found. Well they did think that it could be key faults I had which is why they replaced that.. but no that was just me hopping out of the car with the key.
Did your car throw any codes by any chance?
Appreciate 0