View Single Post
      05-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #26
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

I've defended BMW on the internet, more times than I care to remember, in the face of criticism for "dilution" of the brand, spreading themselves too thin, or moving away from the core strengths. I totally get that BMW needs to focus on profits, and I totally get that traditional demographics are shifting - living in the UK I appreciate we're lucky that so many many manufacturers bother to bring such a variety of vehicles to our RHD market, but I strongly sense Americans struggle comprehending that they are not necessarily the number one focus any more.

I have nothing against any of the proposed models above. My preference would be an L7 akin to stretched 7-ers of old, and an X7.

But, and this is where my problem lays... how sustainable is this number of models over the next 25 years (or 3 generations)? I agree with giving your customers choice so therefore I'm not bothered that in some cases these models will simply be canibalising sales of existing models, but can the company really sustain the manufacture, service and support for such a wide range of vehicles - especially when catering to less stable financial times and markets - and markets which given so much choice may flit from one brand to another?

All this while not offering some of the performance orientated models that some customers desire: new generation M1, high(er) performance M3 and M6 models (CSL, GTS) for more markets or in higher numbers, Z4 performance variants (GT3?).... and at the same time reducing BMW Motorsport involvement to simply GT3 customer teams and the DTM (no touring cars, no prototypes, no open wheelers...)

So within the next 2 years BMW groups range will have swollen to this,

Mini Hatch
Mini Convertible
Mini Countryman
Mini Countryman Coupe
Mini Coupe
Mini Roadster
Mini Clubvan

1 GT / FWD 1-er
1 3dr Hatch
1 5dr Hatch
1 Coupe (2-er ?)
1 Convertible (2-er ?)
3 Saloon
3 Tourer
3 GT
3 Coupe (4-er ?)
3 Convertible (4-er ?)
3 Li
5 Saloon
5 Tourer
5 GT
5 Li
6 Coupe
6 Convertible
6 Gran Coupe
7 Saloon
7 Li
X1 SAV
X3 SAV
X4 SAC
X5 SAV
X6 SAC
Z4

i3
i8

Rolls-Royce Ghost
Rolls-Royce Ghost LWB
Rolls-Royce Phantom
Rolls-Royce Phantom LWB
Rolls-Royce Phantom Drop Head Coupe
Rolls-Royce Phantom Coupe

.. yes I know I've still ignored some speculated models..

And still they want add further models?

Don't get me wrong, the more the merrier from my point-of-view, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool BMW fan, I'll admit that, but SCOTT, I ask you, when will BMW draw the line? When do they work on improving what they've already got, rather than just adding to it?

Last edited by Matski; 05-07-2012 at 04:13 PM..
Appreciate 0