View Single Post
      09-17-2020, 12:40 PM   #1
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3/'18 F83 M4

Transmission/Clutch Update

Some of you may recall that I experienced a failure of some sort @ Summit Point during the July 4th weekend. To review, as I was accelerating out of turn 1 I experienced a complete loss of drive. I had nothing but revs and needed to get towed back to the paddock and then winched into my trailer for the drive home. Having had good experience w/RRT I decided that was the route to go and dropped the car off the next week.

With the car on a lift their preliminary inspection revealed some grinding noises which led to an initial diagnosis of transmission failure. As the car is 11 yrs old and is now dedicated to tracking I decided to go the route of a new transmission, and further to add in a new clutch as a preventative measure. Car is SC'd so since everything would already be taken apart I figured might as well do them both.

After receiving numerous recommendations from forum members i decided to go with a race transmission from diffsonline and a clutch from OS Giken. Unfortunately, getting the transmission proved to be a very long delay and it just arrived this afternoon! In preparation for installing everything the car was again placed on the lift and upon CLOSER inspection they found that my one-piece CF driveshaft had snapped off where it connects to the differential, and they have no idea what could have caused that. Could have been transmission failure or could just have been a driveshaft failure. I recall the incident at the track and at no time did I experience any rear wheel locking or anything which could have signaled the occurrence of an event forceful enough to snap the end of the driveshaft. Other than it being extremely hot that day i can think of nothing which could have led to a failure.

So........while the car is still not yet fixed, I now need a new driveshaft in addition to getting the transmission and clutch installed. Talk about drama!
AA Gen 2 Lvl 2 w/Meth; MagnaFlow catless x-pipe; Dinan Underdrive Pulley; VAC Coated Bearings; ARP Rod Bolts; Oil Diverter Valve; Dinan Strut Braces; Dinan Rear Toe Links; ECS Rear Trailing Arms; MCS 2-Way NR w/700F-1000R; GC Camber Plates; AKG 75D MM & 95A TM; CAE Shifter; Titan T-S5; StopTech ST60 380mm/ST40 355mm; MFactory DS; Zebulon Splitter; Zebulon 330 Rear Wing; Gutted w/Piper Motorsports Custom Cage; OMP WRC-R Seats
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11586.00