View Single Post
      03-12-2018, 10:19 PM   #59
DreamTime
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
DreamTime I thought the B8 were out of stock for months?

##Update

My brother took it for a test drive today on a foggy morning and reported the vibration has reduced from the first test drive but still noticeable. Hopefully tomorrow, I'll be able to get the car up and ensure the spacers have the best surface to attach to.

The car looks great from the rear

The car looks great and its time to start working on the rest of items.

##Initial Goals
My intended goals with this car is to build a wonderful street car with the capabilities of going to an HPDE and not destroying itself.
  • Capable of street comfort (upper limit of tolerance is fine)
  • Capable of surviving a weekend at the local tracks without fuss.
  • Reasonable cost of parts.

For the braking situation, I think I'll try getting Castrol SRF fluid (great wet boiling point, SS brake lines (not sure which brand yet), and PFC 08 pads for longevity benefits. I may just get a set of rotors to be ready on hand when I toast these...

Suspension however, I am left undecided...

### The Suspension Options
  • Option 1: ~$844 Swift Spec R Springs, Vorshlag Camber Plates
  • Option 2: ~$2500 Swift Spec R Springs, Vorshlag Camber Plates, B6 Damptronic suspension
  • Option 3: ~$3500 Vorshlag Camber Plates, B16 Damptronic suspension, retain EDC
  • Option 4: $~2900 Vorshlag camber plates, Ohlins Road & Track Coilovers, Lose EDC
  • Option 5: $unknown ZCP Suspension for E90. Rare, hard to find used and expensive if it is new

Option 1 initially seemed to be the most logical but reviews are mixed and ultimately I probably will be unhappy with it. Option 2 may have the same outcome as Option 1 but the price is so close to the coilovers, it might be worth it just to ignore this option. Option 3 would be nice to retain EDC but I am unclear how compliant it will be on the street. Option 4 has wonderful reviews of its street compliance but lacking track stiffness. This does sound more in line with what I am aiming for. Another note for the Ohlins is the rebuild interval is suggested at 50k and Bilsteins are rated at 100k. Performance Shock Shop is a local to me so it might be a moot in that situation. The downfall of the ohlins is that EDC will be lost. Option 5 is to find ZCP suspension for an E90 and utilize it. I have NO clue if this actually will make any sense as I probably will be unhappy with the ride height if I'm spending money on it.

With my intentions to have this car mainly street with 3-4 HPDEs a year, Ohlins R&T sounds like the best bang for the buck. A few searches on this forum also suggest that there is no need for more front wheel clearance like the KW coilovers (maybe bilstien needs it too?) for the Ohlins. EDC seems like a hassle to retain unless I opt for the B16 Damptronics. It is a tight race between the Ohlins R&T and the B16s. Right now I'm leaning towards the Ohlins by 80%. The 20% reserve is that magical ability to retain that cool EDC button in the center console..LOL. The trackrat in me wants to the granularity of independent rebound adjustment, where the tech guy in me wants to utilize the cool technology the car has. Decisions decisions.
First of all... omfg I love foggy San Fran drives. Second... sadly, yes - B8s are ridiculously backordered. Thankfully, I know a guy who knows a guy Hoping I get my shocks a little sooner than what it was seeming like a month ago.

I really enjoyed reading your thoughts on suspension. I almost went with the full B16 setup, but refrained only because I want to have a somewhat stock-ish suspension so I can focus more on learning how to be a better driver on the track vs having a car that "helps" me be a better driver. Although, I'm not sure H&R sport springs and B8 shocks count as stock-ish anymore..? I am still fairly new to modding my car for track/performance reasons, so I have a lot of learning to do. That won't stop me from having a good time during the process though lol. Thank you for sharing your experience! It is really helpful for people like me

Sidenote - I have a Macht Schnell EDC emulation module sitting in my garage, along with my pile of bushings and mounts, that I will install when my shocks finally arrive. After a long personal debate (lol), I chose to give it up.
Appreciate 2
derbo3610.00
BOOF-M34451.50