View Single Post
      02-12-2024, 09:41 PM   #24
iamtrashman
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 AW Stripper M3

Long time, no update

Last update was from 2021! Not a ton of crazy changes to the car since then, I have just mostly been enjoying it!

The car sat like this shortly after the last update. I think I took this picture on my trip to get the rod bearings serviced.

In May 2022 I installed a set of Recaro SPG XL's. I had wanted Pole Position ABE's but the supplier I ordered from in Germany realized after I had sent the money that the model/colour I had ordered was out of stock. They offered a discount on SPG XL's as a consolation prize, and I was fine with this as both models have the wider lower harness holes that work with factory seatbelt receptacles. The GTS also used unbranded SPG XL's as well, and I have been happy with these. they are very comfortable.

I used Brey Krause mounts on OEM manual sliders to install them. As has been documented by other users on the forum, this setup is top notch for quality, but with wider seat bottoms, the factory rails are too narrow to mount the seat as low as taller drivers may like. the seat is physically wider than the width between the sliders. If you used a smaller seat like a regular SPG you could likely mount it very close to the floor while retaining a nice OEM slider.

Here are some seat pics, I figured some sporty red mats would match my cool racing chairs, lol.

In June 2022 my wife and I took the car on a road trip through Washington state. We crossed the border near Oroville, turned west near Omak, and took WA SR-20 North Cascades scenic byway into Sedro-Woolley. If anyone is ever in northern WA during the summer and has the time, this road kicks ASS.

Pulled over just south of the border

Between Omak and Twisp

We stayed the night in Twisp, it was a quaint little town. We got up early, grabbed some coffee, and headed out to cross the Cascades.

Once we got up there we got to enjoy some really nice views, and even see some snow at the higher elevations. The road itself was smooth for the most part, and had lots of fun bends, curves, hairpins and elevation changes.

We made a quick stop at Diablo Lake and took in the views. it was really windy up at the viewpoint!

Once back down on I-5, we headed toward Seattle for a couple days. While we were there I met up with my friend Zach and went for a drive. his 335D is a rocketship! Made my M3 feel slow in comparison, but it didn't sound as cool haha.

Our AirBNB host had great taste in cars! A nice E36 M3 and a manual 2.3 190e!

We caught an early morning ferry from downtown Seattle to Bainbridge Island to start our loop of the Olympic peninsula. It absolutely DUMPED rain for huge sections of this drive, but a lot of it had enough tree canopy to keep the twistier parts fun. Our goal for the day was make it to Ocean Shores WA. We stopped for the first short (and wet) hike of the day to check out Marymere Falls. The parking lots and the roads that connect all of the camp sites have nice big trees and were really photogenic.

Off we were to Forks WA, and we were about 20 minutes away when we saw a sign that said "NORTHWEST COAST - Cape Flattery - Most NW point in the Contiguous USA"

Well, we were already out here, why not check it out?

The road there was pretty bumpy and had some cool jumps and curves, but what a scenic drive at points! We made our way through Neah Bay and up the Cape Loop road.

The rain was absolutely pouring out here, but we decided we were just going to get soaked and do the short hike anyway. The views were totally worth it!

Off we drove again, backtracking all the way to US-101. As we got there, the rain FINALLY started letting up. The section of road between Moclips and Ocean Shores was incredible. I stopped and took my favourite pictures yet of my car near here.

As we pulled into Ocean Shores, I found a road that just simply drives into the ocean. I think it is for beach access for offroad vehicles, but it looked so absurd that I had to go grab some shots.

The next morning I was admiring the coating of road trip grime all over the car. Looking well loved and well used!

After Ocean Shores we headed back to Seattle to visit a few more friends before heading back to Canada. It was a great trip and the car did over 1000 miles without breaking a sweat from sea level to 5477ft of elevation, torrential downpour, desert heat, and everything in between.

I took it on a couple other trips in 2022 and 2023 and it has been the most solid car I have owned by quite a large margin. I have some updates to the car coming this spring and will post them here when they are done. for now I will close this post out with a few pictures from 2023 after lowering the car slightly.

Thanks for looking!
Appreciate 10