View Single Post
      05-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #15
s65e90
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Do you guys remember the 'turbonator' from back in the day?

Single turbo would be quite a task piping wise. Unless you just want to turbo one bank

You might need an external control unit/bypass to make it work perfect, similar to what the harrop blower will be running. Obviously the mss6x has no boost/waste gate control.

The issue with turbos on this car is that the MSS6x family is not designed for boost unlike the MSD8x family. I think the biggest tuning issue would be controlling the onset of boost given its not a linear relationship of X boost at Y RPM in the case of a supercharger.

packaging is def the issue due to the tight engine bay. Don't know what you mean about external control as the turbo boost with be controlled via wastegate off the manifold (fine tuned via boost controller). While it will still be cool I could see a twin turbo setup being utilized first due to running separate manifolds and not using a crossover pipe. I would LOVE to see a top mount, right where the airbox is. It would be a mess of piping underneath but seesm like a good spot for a big turbo.

Tuning def seems to be a hurdle, and of course these things being 12.xx compression are def not boost friendly, but they seem to take SCing pretty well. The tuning of the turbo is much more complex as with an SC having a linear curve it's quite easy to get to run right. I think something needs to be done to the stock DME (ala Maximum PSi e46 kit) or an add on - piggy back controller. Pectal is a nice choice of ECU but reall $$.

Mike you should get on this
Appreciate 0