Originally Posted by CamasM3e93 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamasM3e93 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46XITOE92M3 View Post
Why are you running 5w50
Redline 5w50 is equal to the BMW and Castrol 10w60 spec products (RL 10w60 is considered too heavy). Red Line's synthetic oils are ester based which is considered a step up in lubrication and engine protection from the Mobil 1 / liquid moly / castrol / BMW synthetic oils, especially in high revving engine applications. There's a nice little thread somewhere from one of the S65/S85 aftermarket engine builders showing a wear comparison and he advocates for RL 5w50. Here, the metal counts show the 5w50 is performing exceptionally well.

I've got a couple questions in to Pipercross and Red Line.
None of ghat is true except that RL 10W60 is too heavy.
Final product is what matters, and that is achieved by using various base stocks. RL is ester based, but Mobil1 has a lot of ester in their FS and ESP oils. Problem is starting oxidation of ester oils and unbalanced additive package of RL that somehow always has high silicon, which is not good for street driven cars.

As for wear, people have to understand that UOA is not designed to measure that. It can show spike in metals to point to an issue (rod bearings) but wear can only be determined by tearing down engine. All those ball tests etc. are just bunch if nonsense. I don't remember any from my days of oil development and testing.
Ok, Boomer…. You almost hit the trifecta there. I'm not really interested in a debate on oil viscosity, oil brands, nor the value of oil analysis - but thank you for posting. If you need me, I'll be on another thread debating the true cause of rod bearing failures and which is the very best exhaust setup.
I am not sure where you going to be, but that doesn't change facts.
Appreciate 1