08-02-2011, 07:10 PM   #122
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3C XDrive-Ind Grey Blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbook View Post
Question for you:

Have you ever done a track day or been on a race track ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbook View Post
The reason I ask is because the basic track rule that shouldn't be broken is, if you spin, wait 'til the other cars come by before you try and rejoin. It's not just an F1 rule, it's the same for pretty much every series and track event out there.
Exactly....I argree with you 100%...this is a penalty based on safety and had nothing to do with who was in position, or a back-marker, etc. When you spin you have to WAIT until it is safe to rejoin...doesn't matter if you are in first, last or the fastest or slowest car on the circuit. And YES sometimes the safest option means sitting still in the middle of the track while the others get by safely before you rejoin the fray. In the situation LH was in, staying still was the safest option. He made an unsafe maneuver so he was penalized.

During a BMWCCA race at Willow Springs, I spun my e46 M3 exiting turn 9. This left me in the middle of the track facing the opposite direction as several other cars exited the turn leading to the front straight. It was scary but I held tight, realizing my fellow competitors would see me and avoid me. As soon as they got around me, I spun the car around and rejoined the fray. Afterwards, many of my fellow racers came to me to thank me for handling that situation in such a calm and smart manner.