08-19-2014, 12:13 PM   #89
swartzentruber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemdog View Post
Could be tenths. Some manuals are better than others, obviously-- it's annoying when they don't like to be "rushed" or power-shifted. I had a '96 Nissan Z that shifted like butter 'til you tried to hurry it, then it fought back. The DCT will do full-throttle shifts quickly enough that even my slickest manual shifts seem interrupted in comparison. Even so, I'm still annoyed that manuals are already being dropped from high-end sports cars.
This was the point I was trying to make regarding the ability to easily downshift multiple gears in the DCT, and why it's advantageous. I've driven manuals since I first got my license (over 20 years), and own a 6MT, so of course I know that you can downshift multiple gears. However, if you are on full throttle, it is very difficult to do so without slowing the shift down a lot, and in that time, the reason for wanting that extra power could be lost. I like to know that on the interstate, if I need to make a quick pass, I can concentrate on watching the gap in traffic and not on perfectly timing my shift. In a turbo car, I wouldn't care as much, since you get decent passing torque without downshifting a lot.