View Single Post
      05-28-2020, 04:08 PM   #1
frankc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 E36 M3/4, 2011 E90 M3 ZCP

Which VAC Rod Bearings?

I have my E90 M3 up on the lift and ready to do the rod bearings. My original plan was to use the BE Bearings & ARP rod bolts, but with the BE shells on back order until Sept, I started looking at VAC bearings (still planning to use the BE ARP rod bolts).

The VAC sites states that their rod bearings have "extra clearance". I called last week and was told that the bearings provide an additional .001" and .0015" clearance over standard. Other information I have read stated that the VAC bearings do not provide extra clearance, but that information may be old and VAC may have changed their specs - or perhaps they now offer both standard (.0015") and extra clearance bearings.

Their site lists two part numbers for the S65 rod bearings:
  • VAC-HPRBS-S65: Standard Size
  • VAC-HPRBS-U25: 0.25mm Undersize

Can folks here who have ordered these bearings confirm that the VAC-HPRBS-S65 part number provides the "extra clearance" for a standard crank? I ask because I received a confusing response during the call with VAC when I asked this question (I won't go into all the details here), and the bearings cannot be returned - so I want to make sure I order the correct part.

I sent an email to VAC a few days ago regarding this, but have not received a response yet.

Thanks
Appreciate 0