View Single Post
      07-22-2021, 08:41 AM   #9
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
My main gripe with them - they try and do too much too soon and the person gets overwhelmed. I see trainers also do it all the time. That works with highly motivated determined people, but "highly motivated determined" people are not usually in this situation to begin with.

Main thing to focus on to me is sustainability. Anyone can eat kale and workout like mad for 2-6 weeks. But is that sustainable? No.

These people need small goals. F the exercise outside of maybe some walking etc. To lose weight - it's all about diet. Focus on small changes that will get some results. Someone loses 5-10 pounds - they get more engaged. They make some more changes and lose some more - now they feel good about themselves and find themselves wanting to be more active without it feeling forced.

I obviously don't know your sister, but it sounds like she probably eats poorly and does not exercise? So going from 0 to 100 will be overwhelming. Like smoking. Smoking one less per day seems less daunting than cold turkey.

Set small goals with some diet changes that are not drastic to start. Small victories builds confidence and desire to do more. I struggled more when I was much younger before I decided to find a diet that fits MY life - not trying to exercise to the diet I was eating. I now have a diet that fits my life and I fight it FAR less and my numbers have never been better - even at 50. I use diet to control my weight and exercise to improve my wellbeing and cardiovascular health - independent of each other. I believe trying to use exercise to control your weight is a unsustainable endeavor for people (like me) who do not enjoy working out as much as some do.

Lots of opinions on this for sure and many way to tackle it, but this worked great for me - and I was also this type of person. Luckily I did not have a life changing event before I corrected it.

I wish her all the best!